Thursday, May 5, 2011

Where’s Henry?

JENNIFER WALSH - OTHER VOICES

Editor’s Note:  “Where’s Henry?” by Jennifer Walsh was the winner of LEAF Inc’ poetry slam Friday, April 29, at UCCCA.

A loving mother,
the true definition of the word
a medic in the Air Force,
A conservative follower of our Lord

Full of beauty and honor,
Gambling her only vice!!!
It wasn’t until now I saw that gambling was her life…

Last year cancer stole her
From her kids and grandbabies
It’s strange how now after
I really learned of her disease

I remember coming home
to presents on our beds
I never thought how she got them
I was only a kid

As I grew older
my mind still naïve
She’d start sharing her secret
A new side of her I would see

OTB’s, tables, and games
This was how our surprises were won
Now I know what to blame,
For how she had become

We took trips to Turning Stone.
Starting out as so much fun.
The food, the luxury, and happiness,
But only if she won!!!

Jealously would strike her
as others nearby would win.
“I wanted that machine.”
As she punched in her pin.

Her fingers danced across the screen And she changed the lucky numbers.
“It helps my chances, you’ll see.”
As she awaited the result of the tumblers

$300 dollars she’d win
Thrice what she brought
She’d dwindle it down
Saying, “Just hold my spot!”

She’d check her accounts
No more funds to bet
A quick call to her husband
Would settle that debt

To her chair she’d return,
Sending us off to eat,
“I will meet you there soon,
If I leave now, I’m beat.”

Her temper would rise
as her money would fall
If we asked when we were leaving
The loss was OUR fault!

I remember her always saying,
“Just a little while longer,
I need to keep playing!”
In the van we could slumber

We’d be there til 1,
Sometimes 2 or 3.
We’d wish she were done,
We had school the next day!
I remember the good times
The times that she won
But mostly she would lose it all
And swear she were DONE

One time she promised
No more gambling, no frowns.
I was so proud of her
Until she confessed of Vernon Downs

The last weekend of her life
She requested a gambling trip
I was hesitant to take her
But it was for Isabel’s crib

So delicate and fragile,
She could not even walk
She finally shared a meal with me
By the end of the week she was gone.

She’d say she was sorry
For the money she’d lost
Call herself a loser
All this pain, at what cost?

Gambling would take her
From mother to monster
The things that she would say to us
While gambling we lost her

It seemed like she’d blackout
Once finished she’d return
The image and words stuck with us though
In our hearts and minds forever burned
She held the reigns
To forfeit her guilt
To overpower the pain
She just needed to quit!
So many memories of her,
Of her love, so pure and pristine.
But one that stands out the most
Is her and that damn “Where’s Henry” machine…

No comments:

Post a Comment