Edward F. Miller, Sr., 78; Managed Retail Mainstays
ONEONTA – Edward F. Miller Sr., 78, a manager of several key Oneonta retail establishments over a four-decade career, died April 2, 2011, surrounded by his wife Anna Flanagan Miller and their 9 children.
Ed was born on July 16, 1932, in Philadelphia, Pa., to John Joseph Miller and Elizabeth Mary Buchanan.
He and his future wife, Ann Flanagan, were childhood friends at Nativity BVM Elementary School there, marrying on Oct. 27, 1953, at Nativity Catholic Church, Philadelphia.
He served in the Army in 1953-55, stationed in Korea during the conflict there.
During his 40 years in retail management, he worked locally for W.T. Grant, Jamesway, Fay’s Drugs and Eckerd’s.  Ed was also a proprietor of a Ben Franklin Store in Binghamton.
In addition to his wife of 57 years, survivors include children Edward F. Miller, Jr. (Nancy) of Oneonta, Marianne Buscemi (Paul) of Valley Center, Calif., Lorraine Tompkins (Bruce) of Manlius, Cheryl Miller (Mark Emilio) of Oneonta, Valerie Gray of Rock City Falls,  Patrick Miller (Doraine) of Ballston Spa, Michael Miller (Lorraine of Oneonta, John Miller (Virginia) of Tarrytown, and Catherine Miller of Rock City Falls.  Also, 22 grandchildren, three great-grandchildren and nieces and nephews.
He was an active parishioner of St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Oneonta for 39 years. He was an avid vegetable gardener, and enjoyed a good game of poker and horseshoes, and a cold beer.
The funeral mass was Tuesday, April 5, at St. Mary’s, with the Rev. Joseph Benintende, pastor, officiating.  Burial was planned at Mount Calvary Cemetery, Emmons.
Memorial contributions may be made to the St. Jude Children’s Hospital, 262 Danny Thomas Place, Memphis TN 38105.
Arrangements were with the Lester R. Grummons Funeral Home, Oneonta.

James N. Sommer, 54; Retired Air Force Master Sergeant
Oneonta native James Nicholas Sommer, passed away unexpectedly on April 2, 2011, in Lakewood, Wash., where he and his family lived since 1990.  He was 54.
He was born March 4, 1957.
Jim, who retired from the Air Force as a master sergeant after 20 years, enjoyed singing with his gifted baritone voice and acting in various plays.  He and Shirley, his wife of 34 years, share a love of music.
He was an avid reader. He was also a dedicated golfer and a member of the TOY golf club. He was a student of the world and curious about all things in it.
During his time of service, he and his young family lived first in Arkansas, where he received his undergraduate degree in communications.
The family settled in Lakewood, Wash., in 1990. After his retirement from the Air Force he worked at Cable Craft in Tacoma.
In addition to his wife, survivors include sons Paul and John; his father, Jim Sommer of Santa Cruz, Calif.; sisters, Annie Jorgensen of Santa Cruz and Mary Tingley of Phoenix, Ariz.; as well as several nieces and nephews, and many friends whom he touched throughout his life.
He was predeceased by his mother, Madeline.
The services will be Thursday, April 7, in Lakewood, Wash.

‘Celebration of Life’ Planned For Ted Knapp
ONEONTA – A “Celebration of life” for Theodore (Ted) Kenneth Knapp is planned 1-4 p.m. Saturday, April 30, at the American Legion.  All are invited.
He passed away on Dec. 13, 2010, in Elizabethtown, Pa., where he was residing.
Earlier in Oneonta, he worked for Victory Markets and the D&H Railroad.  As a boy, he was also a pinsetter in local bowling alleys.
Local survivors included one daughter, Debra Yaro of Morris; sister Joan Camp of Otego, and granddaughter Marybeth Jones of Oneonta.

Donald P. Tiderencel, Jr., 52; OHS Grad, Navy Corpsman
ONEONTA – Donald P. Tiderencel Jr., trained in the Navy for a medical career, passed away suddenly at his residence in Oneonta on Saturday, April 9, 2011. He was 52.
Donald was born Aug. 17, 1958, in Charleston, S.C., Army Hospital, to Donald P. Tiderencel Sr. and Harriet (Frederick) Tiderencel. Born into an Air Force family, Don grew up in Charleston, Binghamton, Plattsburgh, Oneonta, Dover, Del., SanVito, Italy, and Vicenza, Italy.
Upon his father’s retirement, the family moved back to Oneonta, where Don attended his senior year at Oneonta High School, graduating in 1976.
Don then joined the Navy, serving as a hospital corpsman from 1976 to 1980, and 1981 to 1985, where he attended Hospital Corpsman School and Field Medical Service School.
He was a National Registered Certified EMT and served aboard the U.S.S. Saratoga. He also worked at Lourdes Hospital, DiRienzo Brothers Deli, Binghamton Mets Baseball, Veteran’s Industries and Janitronics of Albany, and the Northampton, Mass., VA Medical Centers.
Donald was predeceased by his mother in 2003.
In addition to his father, survivors include his wife, Audrey of Dover, Del.; four children, Elease Tiderencel of Jacksonville, Fla., Kristina Tiderencel of Utica, Joseph Tiderencel of Coxsackie, and Lorraine Tiderencel of Johnson City; two granddaughters, Jayla Grace Simon and Jenna Faith Simon of Jacksonville, Fla.; his brother, Ronald Tiderencel (Janis) of Maryland; his sister, Janice Pidgeon (Tim) of Oneonta; nieces, Lauren Tiderencel of Cameron, Mo., and Kelly Tiderencel of Oneonta; nephews, Brendan and Zach Pidgeon of Oneonta; several uncles and cousins. He also leaves behind a special loved one; his longtime friend, Joann Nahlovsky of Northampton, Mass.
Don enjoyed all sports – especially the Dallas Cowboy, the New York Mets, and watching his nephews play football and baseball.  He will be remembered for his great sense of humor and his impressive knowledge of facts and trivia, in particular sports trivia and astronomy.
A celebration of Don’s life will be at 4:30 p.m. Thursday, April 14, at the Lewis, Hurley & Pietrobono Funeral Home, with Father Joseph Benintende, pastor of St. Mary’s Church, officiating.
Burial will be next to his mother in Mount Calvary Cemetery, Emmons, at a later date.
Memorial contributions may be made to Soldier On (an organization that provides American Veterans with shelter, support, dignity and hope), 421 North Main St., Building 6, Leeds, MA 01053 or online at

Florence D. Balnis, 95; Ran Store With Husband
ONEONTA – Florence D. Balnis, 95, who operated Joe’s Bait & Sport Shop until 1978, passed away peacefully Saturday, April 9, 2011 at Fox Hospital.
She was born August 27, 1915 in Oneonta, the daughter of Pearsall and Kathryn Dutcher.
Florence graduated from Oneonta High School and attended Oneonta Normal School.  She married Joseph Balnis in New Milford, Pa.
Survivors include son Wayne Balnis, Sr. of Oneonta; daughter and son-in-law, Barbara and Dewey Rogers of West Oneonta; grandchildren, Wayne Balnis, Jr., and his wife, Carla, of Oneonta, Sherry Pidgeon and her husband, Brian, of Oneonta, Laurie Page and her husband, Steve, of Maryland, Renee Konicki and her husband, James, of Voorheesville, Rhonda VanShufflin and her husband, William, of Oriskany; and great-grandchildren, Joseph and Caryn Balnis of Oneonta, Katrina and Shannon VanShufflin of Oriskany, and Victoria and Adam Konicki of Voorheesville.
She was predeceased by her husband, daughter-in-law, Patricia Balnism and sister Vivian Gibson.
The funeral was planned at 1 p.m. Thursday, April 14, at the Lewis, Hurley & Pietrobono Funeral Home, with Florence’s grandson, Deacon James Konicki, officiating.
Interment will be at the Oneonta Plains Cemetery .
Memorial contributions may be made to the Oneonta Plains Cemetery Association, 162 County Highway 58, Oneonta NY 13820.

Kitty VanWoert, 88; Farmed Where Dreams Park Is Today
MILFORD – Catherine J. “Kitty” VanWoert, (nee Seward), 88, who operated a farm with her husband that now is part of Cooperstown Dreams Park, died Saturday, March 12, 2011, at Otsego Manor, following a long illness.
Born July 23, 1922, to John and Edith (Utter) Seward of Wells Bridge, she graduated from Cooperstown High School in 1939. She married Ronald (Wort) VanWoert in 1942, and together they ran a dairy farm until 1960.
She and her husband also sold real estate together for several years. Ronald, who in addition worked for the Otsego County Sheriff’s Department, died in 1992.
Catherine retired from the Meadows in 1985, having worked for the County as a nurse’s aide for over 18 years.
Surviving are her three children, seven grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.
Catherine’s only brother, Wesley Seward, the father of New York State Sen. Jim Seward, R-Milford, predeceased her in 2000.

Ruth (McGuinness) McMoon, 104; One Of Oldest Otsego Countians; Outlived 13 Brothers, Sisters
ONEONTA – Ruth Elizabeth (McGuinness) McMoon, formerly secretary to the superintendent of the Delaware & Hudson’s Susquehanna Division, based here, died on March 13, 2011.  She was 104.
She was born on Jan. 29, 1907, in Oneonta, the daughter of John and Mary (Dolan) McGuinness.
After graduating from Oneonta High School in 1924, she attended Lowell Business School in Binghamton, before joining the D&H.  On Nov. 15, 1930, she married Thomas M. McMoon at St. Mary’s Church, then on Grand Street.
Later, she was an office manager for the Farmers’ Home Administration. After retiring, Ruth worked for the Otsego County Soil Conservation District in Oneonta.
In addition to being a former member of the Oneonta Business Women’s Club and the Fox Hospital Auxiliary, she was a Girl Scout leader and an avid bridge player.  Ruth was the oldest member of St. Mary’s Church and Rosary Society in Oneonta.
In addition to her husband of 58 years, she was predeceased by her siblings, May, Ann, Dorothy, Helen, Frank, Edwin, Chester, Stuart, Robert, Charles, Raymond, William and Edward; and two nephews, James and Jack McGuinness.
Surviving are a niece, Catherine (McGuinness) and Ray Gorsch of Arizona; a nephew, Edward and Ann Ryan of North Carolina; four great-nieces, Erin (McGuinness) Pashley, Bridget McGuinness, Regina (Reggie) McGuinness and Meghan McGuinness; one great-nephew, Michael McGuinness; two great-, great-nieces, Casey McGuinness and Amber Talbot; three great-, great-nephews, Thomas Talbot, Justin McGuinness and Jared Pashley, and numerous Godchildren.
At the age of 104, she still had her wit and sense of humor.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be at 10 a.m. on Saturday, March 19, at St. Mary’s. Interment will be in the spring in St. Mary’s Cemetery, Cooperstown.
Friends may call from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday, March 18, at the Lester R. Grummons Funeral Home; the family will be in attendance.
Memorial contributions may be made to St. Vincent de Paul c/o St. Mary’s Church, 39 Walnut St., Oneonta, NY 13820.
Arrangements are by the Lester R. Grummons Funeral Home

Edith M. Grigsby, 87; Retired From Meadows
ONEONTA – Edith M. Grigsby, 87, passed away Monday, March 14, 2011, at the Fox Nursing Home.
She was born July 31, 1923, in Cooperstown, the daughter of George  and  Florence (Miller) Vroman. She married Earle Grigsby on July 31, 1943, in Hartwick.
Mrs. Grigsby was employed by Scintilla, and then by the Oneonta Dress  Factory.
She retired from The Meadows Nursing Home, where she worked as a nurses’ aide for 10 years.
 She was a former member of the Hartwick Methodist Church.
 She is survived by seven children, Leslie Earle and Sarah Grigsby of Ossining,
Linda Lou and Burt Miller of Odessa, Texas, David Allen and Jane Grigsby of
Enfield, Conn., James Albert and Sharon Grigsby of Nokomis, Fla., Nora Jean Kane of Tunnel, Edwin Douglas and Debra Grigsby of Oneonta, and Anita Marie and Gary Gregory of Chapel Hill, N.C.; 16 grandchildren, 16 great-grandchildren, and several nieces and nephews.
She was predeceased by her husband, Earle, in 1993, and two sisters, Betty Stanton and Marjorie Gillis.
Calling hours will be 5-7 p.m. Friday, March 18, and 2-3 p.m. Saturday, March 19, at the Assembly of God Church.  The funeral  service is at 3 p.m. Saturday, with the Rev. John Grenier, Pastor, officiating.
Interment will be at the Davenport Cemetery at a later date.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Assembly of God Church,   1667 County Highway 48, Oneonta, 13820.
Arrangements are under the guidance of the Lewis, Hurley & Pietrobono Funeral Home.

Steven P. Perry, 47; Attended OHS
Steven Paul Perry, 47, who was raised in Oneonta, lost his life to lung cancer at his home in Atlanta, Ga., on Feb. 19, 2011.
After his junior year as Rotary Exchange Student to Japan, his family moved to Maine. He graduated from Wells High School in 1982.
Steven’s eager and curious mind brought him to many and diverse adventures in the employment world.
He served in the Navy and was trained as a decoder. Attending college in Atlanta, he studied writing and journalism.
In California, he was involved in music production. During his 20 years in Atlanta, he concentrated on editing many music publications and entered the catering business, servicing various private clubs.
He was especially pleased to have been involved for several years with the Jimmy Carter Peace Center. This brought him to many future campaigns for candidates running for office. He worked extensively for Hillary Clinton in her efforts to run as president and was invited to one inaugural ball.
He is survived by his wife of 20 years, Julia; his devoted mother, Dorathy Perry Bacheller of Wells, Maine, with whom he talked weekly; his loving sisters, Sandra, and Annelissa Siriani (husband John), and four children of Orlando, Fla.; brothers, David (partner Heiki); and three sons of Hamninkelen, Germany, and Richard (wife Sheila); and four daughters of New Market, Ala.; his extended family Eric Robinson, who shared his youth, (wife Tonya) and four children of El Paso, Texas, and devoted Donna Robinson of Wells, Maine, and her children Susan, Jean, David, Peter and Katie and their families.
A memorial service was held in Atlanta in February.
During the week of July 25, 2011, his family will gather in Wells, Maine, for a celebration of his life. Following that, it was Steven’s wish that his ashes be spread upon the Gulf of Maine.

Bub Riddell, 90; Decorated WWII Veteran
ONEONTA – Leonard “Bub” C. Riddell, a decorated World War II veteran from Oneonta, passed away Sunday, Feb. 27, 2011, at the state Veterans Home in Oxford, with his daughter, Lana and her husband, Paul Polosky, by his side.
“Bub” was born in the Town of Meredith, on Sunday, April 25, 1920, the son of Willard and Marion (Haynor) Riddell. He grew up on the family farm, and at the age of 7 helped his father build a ramp for Franklin D. Roosevelt, who was campaigning for New York State governor at the American Legion field in Delhi. When “Bub” was 19, he and his brother, “Mick” were the youngest harness makers in New York State.
He entered World War II in April 1942, joining the United States Army Air Corp. On Feb. 13, 1943, he married Alpha G. Kelly from Oneonta in Columbia, S.C.
During the war he flew 48 missions in the Burma-China Theater. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal and Foreign Service Medal. He held the rank of staff sergeant and was a tail gunner on the B-24s.
A devoted hard-working employee, he drove for the Green Bus Lines, worked as a butcher at Dyer’s slaughterhouse, worked for the D&H Railroad, was a meat cutter for Victory Markets, was also an owner/operator for over-the-road trucking, and a was member of the Teamsters Union while driving for Krolher Furniture Co. In his later years, he worked for Unatego School Transportation Department, at the Center Street Store and also operated Riddell’s Saw Sharpening business.
He is survived by son and daughter-in-law, Leslie and Barbara Riddell, of Matthews, N.C.; daughter, Lana and son-in-law, Paul Polosky, of Endwell; six grandchildren, Tammy Brant in Florida, Shawn Strok in Rhode Island, Andy and Richard Riddell in Chittenango, Melissa Morse in Endicott, and Ken Barton in Arizona. He was a great-grandfather to seven great-children. He was Uncle “Bub” to several nieces and nephews and close friend to his sister-in-law, Doris.
He was preceded in death by his wife of 64 years, Alpha, in 2008. He was the baby of the large Riddell family and was preceded in death by four sisters, Laura, Dorothy, Mildred and Edith; and six brothers, Claire, Milo, Neil (John), Leslie, Clarence (Pete) and Hugh (Mick).
Graveside services will be held in August at the Schenevus Cemetery.
Memorial contributions may be sent to the state Veterans Home at Oxford, 4207 State Highway 220, Oxford, NY 13830. The family is grateful for the excellent care and comfort that Bub received there.
Arrangements are under the guidance of the Lewis, Hurley & Pietrobono Funeral Home.

Douglas A. Murphy, 75; Placed In First Clinton Regatta
ONEONTA – Douglas A. Murphy, 75, an electrician/plumber who canoed in the first General Clinton Regatta, in 1964, placing third, passed away on Sunday, Feb. 27, 2011 at the Fox Nursing Home.
Born Nov. 21, 1935 in Gilbertsville, he was the son of the late Arthur and Marjorie (Douglas) Murphy.  He married Marion J. (Hoffman) on Dec. 24, 1954 in Oneonta.
He was in the National Guard, and worked at Scintilla (Bendix) in Sidney for 21 years and also on the family farm in Treadwell.
The family moved to Norwich, where Doug worked for Simmonds Precision.  Back in Oneonta, he worked for the Oneonta Job Corps as an electrician.  Joining Oneonta High School’s maintenance department, he continued his own plumbing/heating business on the side.
He was an outdoorsman, loved mountain climbing, hunting, gardening, hiking trails and canoeing. He was active in the Boy Scouts and a member of the River Street Baptist Church.
In addition to his wife of 56 years, survivors include his daughter, Barbara Jean Perkins of Delhi and her husband, Allan; sons Michael Murphy of Syracuse and his wife, Donna, and David  Murphy of Columbia, S.C., and his wife, Sonja; three grandchildren, Angela Jean (Perkins) Rosino, Jason Allan Perkins and Hannah Ruth Murphy; two great-grandchildren, Lia Grace and Joseph Michael Rosino; one sister, Kathleen Schober of North Hillsdale and her husband, Walter; one brother in Florida, Marvin Murphy, and several nieces and nephews.
He was predeceased by two sisters, Nancy Murphy and Lucy Upham, and one brother, Thomas Murphy.
The funeral was Wednesday, March 2, at the River Street Baptist Church with Rev. Mel Farmer, pastor, officiating. Burial will be in the spring at Oneonta Plains Cemetery.
Memorial contributions may be made to River Street Baptist Church, 133 River St., Oneonta, NY 13820.
Arrangements were handled by Bookhout Funeral Home.

Kendall Hay, 95; WWII Vet Was One Of Oldest Natives
ONEONTA – Kendall Hay, one of the first Oneontans drafted into World War II and one of the city’s oldest natives, passed away Saturday, Feb. 26, 2011, at his home.
Kendall was born in Oneonta on Oct. 19, 1915, the son of J. Earl and Alma (Miner) Hay. He graduated from Oneonta High School in 1933 as valedictorian of his class and then attended Hamilton College in Clinton graduating in 1937.
Drafted on On Feb. 12, 1942, he served in India, China and Burma in the Army Air Corp as a communications officer. He was discharged July 11, 1946, as a captain. He served in the Air Force Reserve from 1946 to 1970, retiring as a lieutenant colonel.
On Dec. 24, 1946, Kendall married Charlotte Phillips in the Elm Park Methodist Church. This past Christmas Eve they celebrated their 64th wedding anniversary in their home.
Returning from military service, Kendall joined his father in the J. Earl Hay Real Estate Agency on Chestnut Street, selling real estate and doing property appraisals.
He was an active Rotarian for over 65 years, served as club treasurer for 42 years, and became a Rotary Paul Harris Fellow in Rotary.  He was also a member of the Air Force Retired Officer’s Reserve.
In addition to his wife, survivors include seven nieces and nephews and several grand-nieces and -nephews, Charles (JoAnn) Down, Phillip (Frances) Scoville, Richard (Emy) Scoville, Wesley (Barbara) Aspinwall, Alma (Daniel) Scagg, Jeffrey Hendee and Rev. Charlotte Hendee.
In addition to his parents, Kendall was predeceased by a sister and brother-in-law, Velma and Charles Aspinwall, and a brother, Melville Hay.
The family extends their appreciation to the state Association for the Blind for its services during Kendall’s 70 years of blindness.
A celebration of Kendall’s life will be held at the convenience of the family.
Memorial contributions may be made to Catskill Area Hospice & Palliative Care, Inc., 1 Birchwood Drive, Oneonta, NY 13820.
Norma L. Hutman, 76; Renaissance Woman
Norma Louise Hutman, professor emerita at Hartwick College, passed away on Saturday, Feb. 26, 2011, in a fire at her home at 540 Main St. She was 76.
The cause was smoke inhalation from a fire in her Oneonta home.
“She challenged everyone to think deeply,” said Hartwick College President Margaret Drugovich. “Dr. Hutman was irrepressible, and irreplaceable. “
Norma began her 32-year teaching career at Hartwick College in 1964. She came to the college to teach Spanish, but for the greater part of her tenure was a professor of comparative literature and Spanish.
Norma retired from the college in 1996 and was named professor emerita of comparative literature in 2001. She was the inspiration for the college’s Leslie G. Rude Memorial Lecture Series, established in honor of a former faculty member and administrator. In 2009, she established the Florence and George Hutman Scholarship for International Study in support of the college’s commitment to international experience.
Norma’s teaching expertise included myth criticism, modern drama, and poetry. Her courses included Public Speaking, Seminar in Myth and Folklore, Pleasure and Art of Reading, The Whodunnit and Howdunnit, Western Literature, World Literature, Poetry Phobia, Modern Drama, and Literary Criticism. She also co-taught with business professor John Clemens an innovative course on the mythology of management.
While a Hartwick professor, Norma served on the academic council (1966-70), on the faculty council (1974-76), and on the admissions committee (1970-74), which she also chaired. She was chair of the college’s Humanities division for 12 years.
Throughout her career, Norma regularly presented papers at conferences and her articles were published in numerous scholarly journals. Her research interests included the plays of John Millington Synge, the poetry of Edwin Muir, and works of writer Angel Ganivet.
In 2010, Square Circle Press published Norma’s children’s book, “A Bunny Named Cup Cake: The Complete Cup Cake Stories.”
Norma hosted the weekly radio program “Issues Oneonta” for the Central New York Radio Group station WZOZ. She was the longtime director of The Snark & Bandersnatch Players, a community readers’ theatre group that she co-founded at Hartwick in 1974 and later revived in her retirement. She was also a certified flying instructor and piloted a Cessna until 2004. Most recently, Norma was learning Mandarin Chinese.
Active in the Oneonta community, Norma was a member of St. James Episcopal Church, the Upper Catskills Community Council of the Arts, and Huntington Memorial Library Association. She was a vice president of the Upper Susquehanna Historical Association and had served as a president and a board member of the Greater Oneonta Historical Society. She also served on the advisory board of Alzheimer’s Association.
Norma put her Spanish skills to work in the Oneonta community by serving as a translator, language instructor, and fundraiser for an aid program sponsored by St. James Episcopal Church in the Dominican Republic. Norma received a BA from D’Youville College in 1956 and an MA from (CASE) Western Reserve University in 1957. She earned a certificado from the University of Madrid in 1959, and a PhD. from the University of Pittsburgh in 1961.
Prior to joining the faculty at Hartwick College, Norma taught at Chatham College in Pittsburgh (1957-1960, instructor in Spanish), the University of Pittsburgh (lecturer, 1960), and Wilson College in Chambersburg, Pa., (1961-64, assistant professor).
Norma was born in Buffalo, on Sept. 7, 1934. She is predeceased by her parents, George and Florence Hutman of Kenmore.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Florence and George Hutman Scholarship for International Study.
A memorial service will be held at Hartwick College on Saturday, March 5 at 10:00 a.m. in Shineman Chapel to be followed by a reception in the Farrington Room.
Sandy Chase, 65; Sister Survives Here
ONEONTA – Theresa Sandra “Sandy” Chase died on Jan. 24, 2011, after a short illness. She was 65 years old and had lived in Oneonta for five years.
She was predeceased by her parents, Thomas and Bridget M. Hall of Charlestown, Mass.; her husband, Bernard Chase, and two brothers, Thomas James and Richard J. Hall.
Survivors include brothers Mark A. Hall and his wife, Frances; Francis N. Hall and his wife, Ellen, and Kenneth J. Hall, and sister Margaret LaDiguerds, Oneonta.
Also, children Theresa S., Bernard C., Francis M, and Margaret J. Hall, grandmother “Nana” of Brittney M. Pritchard, plus 13 other grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
The funeral was in Charlestown, Mass.

Patricia A. Balnis, 68; Stamford Teacher’s Aide
ONEONTA – Patricia A. “Patsy” Balnis, 68, passed away Sunday, Feb. 6, 2011, at Fox Hospital, surrounded by her family.  She was 68.
She was born Oct. 29, 1942, in Oneonta, daughter of John and Rachael (Wakin) Weitzel.
Patsy married Wayne Balnis Sr. on Oct. 29, 1960, in Oneonta.
She was employed for BOCES in Stamford for 32 years as a licensed teaching assistant and also worked for ARC Otsego.
Patsy enjoyed dancing, listening to her granddaughter Caryn sing, cooking, reading, going to the local baseball games, trips to casinos, playing the slot machines and bowling with the ladies on Monday night bowling league.
She was a loving mother, grandmother and her husband’s “little angel” and will be dearly missed.
In addition to her husband of 50 years, survivors include children, Wayne and Carla Balnis Jr. of Oneonta, Sherry and Brian Pidgeon of Oneonta, and Laurie and Stephen Page of Maryland; grandchildren, Joseph and Caryn Balnis; a mother-in-law, Florence Balnis; a sister, Mary and Dan Tranvaag of Oneonta; a brother, Sam and Joyce Weitzel of Oneonta; sister-in-law, Barbara and Dewey Rogers of Oneonta; many nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles and cousins; special friends, Millard and Dottie Hurlbert, and her beloved dog, Black Velvet.
She was predeceased by her parents and father-in-law, Joseph Balnis.
A memorial service is at 2 p.m. Friday, Feb. 11, at the Lewis, Hurley & Pietrobono Funeral Home, with the Deacon James Konicki, Pasty’s nephew, officiating.  Calling hours were planned 2-4 and 6-8 p.m. the day before, at the funeral home.
Memorial contributions may be made to ARC Otsego, PO Box 490 , Oneonta, NY 13820 or to the American Cancer Society, 13 Beech St., Johnson City, NY 13790 .

James E. Devlin, 72; SUNY Oneonta English Professor For 40 Years
 ONEONTA – Dr. James E. Devlin, 72, a SUNY Oneonta English professor for almost four decades, died of prostate cancer Saturday, Feb. 5, 2011, at Gosnell Memorial Hospice House in Scarborough, Maine.
After retiring in 2003, he lived in Kennebunk, Maine, and Venice, Fla.
He was born on May 6, 1938, in Boston, Mass., to Dr. James Devlin and Edna Frances (Lyons) Devlin.  He graduated from Boston Latin School in 1955, receiving his bachelor’s from Boston College and advanced degrees from Harvard and Binghamton University.
During college, he started a chance pen-pal correspondence with Maria B. Krause of Stockach, Germany. They married in Stockach on March 3, 1962, and raised two sons locally.
Dr. Devlin was the author of numerous articles on German subjects ranging from Boell to Kleist to Marlene Dietrich and on figures in American literature from Poe to Hawthorne to Irving. He published two books and contributed to several others.
In 1977, he was appointed to a Fulbright lectureship at the Paedagogische Hochschule in Goettingen, Germany. From 1995 until his retirement, he was coordinator of the biannual International James Fenimore Cooper Conference, held in Otsego County.
An Army veteran, he was an avid outdoorsman, hunter and gun collector. He traveled widely throughout the United States, the Caribbean, and eastern and western Europe.
In addition to his wife, he is survived by two sons, Dr. Peter-Paul Devlin of North Andover, Mass., and his wife, Dr. Arlene Curran, and Christopher Devlin, Esq. of Portland, Maine, and his wife, Julia Sheridan, Esq.; and by five grandchildren, Margaret, Catherine, Nicholas, Timothy and Claire Devlin.
A memorial service is planned at a later date, followed by interment in Holy Cross Cemetery in Malden, Mass.
In lieu of gifts or flowers, donations in Dr. Devlin’s name may be made to Gosnell Memorial Hospice House, 180 U.S. Route 1, Scarborough, Maine 04074.

Family Mourns Miller Triplets Lost At Birth
ONEONTA – Kason, Mackena, and Delaney Miller passed away in the arms of their parents on Jan. 18, 2011.  They were born a few minutes before they passed into the hands of the Lord.
Kason, Mackena, and Delaney were the son and daughters of Matthew and Stephanie (Shear) Miller of Oneonta, New York.
They are survived by their loving parents; their maternal grandparents, Skip and Jeanne Shear of Bainbridge; and paternal grandparents, Ed and Nancy Miller of Oneonta; their maternal great-grandparents, Paul and Rose Lesko of Binghamton, and Jane Kilgore, and her husband, Rich of Naples, Fla.; their paternal great-grandparents, Edward and Anne Miller of Oneonta, and Lottie Howland of Oneonta.
They are also survived by 10 aunts and uncles, Stacie and Jamie Baciuska, Jaime Shear, Julie and Rusty Smith, Eddie III and Melissa Miller, Jenilee and Dan Metch, and Nicole Miller; six cousins, Elijah, Taylor, Braydon, Eddie IV, Gordan, and Wyatt; and several great-aunts and uncles.
Funeral services will be private and held at the convenience of the family.
Condolences to the family may be made online by visiting our website:
Arrangements are by the Lester R. Grummons Funeral Home, Oneonta.

‘Doc’ Leahy, 94; Long-Time Veterinarian
WEST ONEONTA –  John R. (Doc) Leahy, 94, a veterinarian who practiced locally for more than four decades, died Monday, Jan. 19, 2011, at the Oneonta Nursing & Rehabilitation Center. 
Born in Binghamton on Feb. 1, 1916, he was one of five children of John and Mabel (Lund) Leahy. 
He graduated from Binghamton Central High in 1932, then joined IBM in Endicott, where he worked until being transferred, in the summer of 1938, to IBM’s New York City office to oversee the equipment on display at the 1939 World’s Fair in Flushing Meadow. 
He enrolled in Cornell University’s veterinary program, graduating in 1947. 
As a senior and during graduate school, he was a part-time instructor in the anatomy department.  His thesis, on “muscles of the head, neck, shoulder & forelimb of the dog,” is in Cornell’s “Dissection of Dogs Guide.”
He taught an undergraduate laboratory class on animal restraint, which prompted his textbook, “Restraint of Animals,” used around the world. 
On January 25, 1936 in Whitney Point , John married Mary Gwendolyn Wheat on Jan. 25, 1936, at Whitney Point, and the couple moved to Oneonta in 1949 to set up a veterinary practice on Country Club Road, where he practiced until 1992.
Survivors include three sons and three daughters, Larry and Carole Leahy, John and Jacueline Leahy, Stephen and Lorraine Leahy, Kathleen Leahy, Robert and Arden (Leahy) Fleischer, and John and Cheryl (Leahy) Shackelton; nine grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren; a sister, Mary Harrington Utter of Oxford; a sister-in-law, Nancy Leahy of Whitney Point; a beloved friend and companion, Marion Green, and many nieces and nephews. 
John was instrumental in establishing the West Oneonta Fire Department and served as a fire commissioner for years.  He served on the Oneonta City school board from 1963 to 1982.  He was a member of the Otego Rotary. 
His interests were many and included raising standard bred horses and racing them at Vernon Downs and Monticello; paddling in the 70-mile General Clinton Canoe Regatta with his sons Larry and Steve; repairing old clocks; masonry work, including building the fieldstone fireplace at his prior homestead on Country Club Road, as well as a stone wall for daughter Kathy. 
 A memorial service is 2 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 29, at the Lewis, Hurley, Pietrobono Funeral Home, with the Rev. Tim Thurber, pastor, West Oneonta Baptist Church, officiating. 
William F. Burr, 79; City Auto Executive
ONEONTA – William Francis Burr, Jr., 78, former general manager, Royal Chrysler, and dealer principle at Five Star Nissan Subaru, passed away on Thursday, Jan. 20, 2011 at Fox Nursing Home, surrounded by his family.
He was born Dec. 5, 1932, in Oneonta, the only son of William F.  and Dawn V. (Marble) Burr.  On Dec. 30, 1954, he married Betty Foster, his high school sweetheart. 
He graduated from Oneonta High School, where he excelled in basketball and track, then attended Hartwick College and Champlain College before joining the Air Force in 1952. 
He graduated from the Air Force Cadet program as a navigator/bombardier, and was stationed with the Strategic Air Commandat the Ellsworth AFB, Rapid City, S.D., during the Korean War. 
Honorably discharged in January 1957, he joined his father’s use-car business, and they later bought the Dodge Dealership, opening the store on 316-318 Chestnut St.  Later in his career, he went on to Royal Chrysler and was with Five Star Nissan Subaru when he retired.
He was a member of the Oneonta Elks Club, a life member of the American Legion, and a long-time member of the Oneonta Country Club. 
In addition to his wife of 56 years, survivors include six sons, W. Dale (Deborah) of Uxbridge, Mass., Scott A. (Danielle) of Hamburg, Brett (Erin) of Oneonta, Tim (Elizabeth) of Oneonta, Kevin F. of Binghamton, and Theodore (Jessie) of Oneonta; one daughter, Mary (Gerard) Ziarko of Rochester; 16 grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.
Also, his sister-in-law, Joan Foster of Peekskill and her husband, Richard Riesdorph; brothers-in-law, Fred (Phyllis) Foster of Rome, and Dick (Sandra) Foster of Gouverneur; uncle Raymond Marble, and many nieces, nephews and cousins.
Calling hours are 4-8 p.m. Friday, Jan. 28, at the Lester R. Grummons Funeral Home.  A graveside service with military honors will be in the spring in the Oneonta Plains Cemetery. 

John H. Vasseur, 78; Korean War Vet
WEST ONEONTA – John H. Vasseur, 78, a Korean War Army veteran active in the American Legion, died Thursday, Jan. 13, 2011, at Fox Hospital.
Born on Nov. 19, 1932, in Mineola, John was the son of Francis and Gladys (VanDohlen) Vasseur.
He married Marlyn M. McCartney in Amityville on July 6, 1957, and they made their home in the Babylon area where John, for many years, worked for New York Telephone.
In 2010, John and Marlyn moved to and bought a home in West Oneonta to be near their daughter, Michelle Mulhall of West Oneonta, and  grandchildren, Kristen Milligan and John T. Mulhall III.
In addition to his wife, he is survived by a son, John H. Vasseur Jr., Lindenhurst.
John was a past commander of the American Legion Post 395 in Golden Gate, and was a member of the New York Telephone Pioneers. He enjoyed gardening and developing his model train collection.
Funeral services and burial in the spring will be private.
Arrangements are under the supervision of Tillapaugh Funeral Service.

MaryAnn Wood, 73; Retired To Disney World
ONEONTA – MaryAnn P. Wood, 73, an Oneonta native who retired to Florida to fulfill a lifelong dream of working at Disney World, died Saturday, Jan. 15, 2011, in Davenport, Fla.
MaryAnn was born on June 18, 1937, to Squire and Catherine Perry, grew up locally and received a teaching degree at SUNY Oneonta in 1959.
She lived in Syracuse during her 30-year career at Jamesville Elementary School.
Retiring in 1994, she moved to Orlando and became a member of Disney World’s Candlelight Choir, performing during Christmas seasons for tourists at Epcot Center.
She was an avid SU football fall.
Survivors include her sister, Margaret Young of Orville, Wash.; son Bryan Wood and his wife, Sharon, Altamont; grandchildren Kristin and Patrick Wood; nieces, nephews and a brother-in-law, Louis (Red) Coher, Satellite Beach, Fla.
She was preceded in death by her parents; sister, Ellen Coher; and brothers, Joseph Perry and William Perry.

Ralph Clarkson, 90; Retired Hartwick Dean
ONEONTA – Ralph Ole Clarkson, a former Hartwick College dean active in Oneonta community affairs, died Wednesday, Jan. 12, 2011, at the Rutland Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center in Rutland, Vt.  He was 90.
He was born July 18, 1920, in Skaneateles, the son of Ingeborg (Thorkelson) Clarkson and George H. Clarkson.
He graduated from Syracuse University and received his master’s at SUNY Albany.
During World War II, he served as a navigator in the Army Air Force.
In 1947, he married Audra Bailey in Delhi, and joined Delaware Academy as an art teacher and guidance counselor. In 1959, he moved to Oneonta and joined Hartwick College, where he served as dean of students, director of admissions and director of financial aid, retiring in 1985.
Ralph was the first president of the Delaware County Teachers Association, chairman of the Delaware County Red Cross, past Commander of the American Legion, captain of the National Guard in Walton, past president of the Oneonta Kiwanis Club, and a member of the board of directors of the Oneonta Country Club.
Ralph loved gardening, was an avid woodworker, and an accomplished wildlife photographer and painter.
He and Audra, retired to Fort Myers Beach, Fla., where he became a dedicated volunteer at Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel Island, and he taught art classes to other retirees for many years.
He is survived by his wife; his children, Karen McGurl (George) of Rutland, Vt., Kurt Clarkson of Rutland, Vt., Kris Clarkson (Sarah) of Huntingdon, Pa., and Peter Magellan (Jane) of Vienna, Va.; his grandchildren, Marcy McDade (Scott), Michael McGurl (Rebecca), Joseph Clarkson, William Clarkson, PJ Magellan and Mark Magellan; his great-grandchildren, Maddison McDade, Riley McDade, and Sarah Muller; and many loving nieces and nephews.
He was predeceased by his brothers.

Beth Whitcher, 86; Raised Morgans, Lived In Log Cabin She Built Herself
ONEONTA – Charlotte Elizabeth Whitcher, known as Beth, a noted horsewoman, died Friday, Jan. 7, 2011, at her home in Oneonta. She was 86.
For many years a fixture in the horse-raising community, she was the first to introduce and breed Morgan horses in New York (and occasionally sell when someone convinced her they would take sufficient care of the horses). She is remembered as well by generations who learned to ride horses at her riding academy.
She earned a bachelor’s degree in physical education from Boston University.
Though severe osteoarthritis left it a chore for her to even move and walk, Beth continued to ride her tractor and to take care of her farm nearly to the day of her death. In October, she fretted that delays in repairing her tractor made it difficult to complete the fall haying.
Beth was a life member of the Oneonta Bowman’s Club, located on land she donated near her farm.  As a girl, she was a good hockey player, and later an expert skier.
Though leading the life of a pioneer woman in spartan circumstances, living and dying in the log cabin she constructed with a friend in the 1960s, Beth maintained many relationships largely through mail correspondence. Many former neighbors and friends kept phone connections through the years.
She is survived by her brother, Dr. Charles E. Whitcher of Stanford, Calif.
Services will be announced at a later time.
The Lewis, Hurley & Pietrobono Funeral Home is handling arrangements.

Joan E. Hull, 77; 3 Daughters Survive

ONEONTA – Joan Evelyn (Camp) Hull, a familiar face in many downtown retail stores, passed away unexpectedly at Albany Medical Center on Tuesday, Dec. 7, 2010.
Born Oct. 29, 1933, to Evelyn (Stoffel) Camp Boggs and Clifford Camp, she was also the stepdaughter of Wendall Boggs.
Upon graduating from Oneonta High School in 1952, she worked at the Oneonta Drug Store, where she met and married Harry D. Hull. They raised four girls together.  Harry died in April 1978.
Left with the task of caring for her daughters remaining at home, she moved to Oneonta where transportation and job prospects were more available. Joan held many jobs in retail, always seeming to find new ones as Winans Men’s Shop, the Golden Rooster and the Oneonta Theater closed.  She felt fortunate to end her career at Wilber National Bank, retiring in 1995.
Joan enjoyed making quilts, ornaments, handmade cards and jewelry. She was involved in Cooper Country Crafts in Cooperstown, when it opened in 1974, and other consignment shops, plus the Oneonta Farmers’ Market and seasonal craft shows.
Most recently, she volunteered at the Greater Oneonta Historical Society.
She had many friends that she got together with regularly for games of chicken foot, Chinese checkers, lunches and dinners. Through the generosity of friends and her own determination, , Joan managed to get to many places for someone who never had a driver’s license.
She also enjoyed traveling to visit her children and grandchildren, even visiting Australia twice.
She is survived by three daughters, Terri Vercz of Ilion, Laurie Columb (Trevor) of Yass, Australia, and Lisa Shetty (Baba) of Hingham, Mass.; eight grandchildren; her sister, Norma Talbot (Bob); and her aunt and lifelong friend, Doris Strafel of Richfield Springs.  Joan was predeceased by her daughter, Tracy Lee Hull.
Memorial donations may be made to the Greater Oneonta Historical Society, P.O. Box 814, Oneonta, NY 13820.
A celebration of Joan’s life will be 1-3 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 15, at Alfresco’s Italian Bistro.  Friends and family are welcome.

Maud C. Foutch, 105; Among Otsego County’s Oldest Residents
FLY CREEK – Maud C. Foutch, who experienced more than a century of life in Otsego County, passed away Saturday evening, Jan. 8, 2011, at Otsego Manor. She was 105.
“I never expected to live this long, “ she said at the time of her 103rd birthday.  “No one I know about in my family has lived this long, so if it’s from a gene, it’s from a long time ago.”
Born at home in the Town of Middlefield on April 2, 1905, Maud was the daughter of Dewitt C. and Fannie (Willsey) Colman.  Raised in Bowerstown, she went to a one-room school there and also attended school in Cooperstown. 
As soon as she turned 18, she married Charles E. Foutch in Cooperstown on April 2, 1923.  They moved to Oneonta where he worked as a repairman for train boilers and engines for the D&H.   Their first home was a room above the Oneonta Theater on Chestnut Street.  As they prospered, they moved up Chestnut Street to a larger place, and eventually lived on upper Morgan Avenue. 
 She enjoyed their house on the hill with a view of the river and the railroad tracks, and kept busy crocheting and doing needlework.  Maud also enjoyed flower and vegetable gardening and, while she lived in Oneonta, was a member of the Elm Park United Methodist Church.
Following her husband’s death on Nov. 19, 1973, Maud moved to Bailey Road in Fly Creek to be closer to her son and his family.  Even at 100, she still lived by herself with her dog, Foxy, cooked her own meals and continued to garden.  She joined the Fly Creek United Methodist Church.
In her final years at Otsego Manor, she tended a garden in the courtyard and kept  her room decorated with flowers, photographs of birds and butterflies, and items from the out-of doors where she always liked to be.   
Survivors include her daughter-in-law, Alene Foutch of Fly Creek;  three grandchildren, James R. Foutch and his wife Joan, of Fly Creek, John Foutch and his wife Amy, of Laurens, and Jeffrey Lee Foutch and his wife Jamie, of Fly Creek; four great-grandchildren, John William Foutch and his wife Heather, of Cooperstown, Jenilee Bolton and her husband Michael, of Edmeston, Charles Roger Foutch of Laurens, and Catherine Foutch of Vermont; three great-great-grandsons, Bryce James Bolton , Jack Wyatt Foutch and James Wayne Foutch; two step-great-grandchildren, Joyce and Jamie Carkees; and two step-great-great-grandchildren, Mikael Carkees and Zepherina Carkees.
In addition to her husband, Maud was predeceased by their son, Charles Richard Foutch, who died May 18, 2006; an infant son, John Foutch; one great-granddaughter, Jennifer Marie Foutch, who died April 2, 1981, and one brother, Howard B. Colman, who died in 1986.
Burial will be private at a later date in Lakewood Cemetery in Cooperstown.
Memorial donations may be made to the Winding Brook Activities Fund at Otsego Manor, 128 Phoenix Mills Cross Road, Cooperstown, NY  13326, or to the Lakewood Cemetery Association, P.O. Box 538, Cooperstown, NY  13326.
Arrangements are with the Connell, Dow & Deysenroth Funeral Home.

Bishop Officiates At Funeral of Father John Burns, 71, Otsego-Delaware County Dean
MORRIS – The funeral mass for the Very Rev. John R. Burns, dean of the Otsego-Delaware Deanery, was Friday, Dec. 31, at St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church, Oneonta.  Bishop Howard Hubbard of the Diocese of Albany officiating.
Father Burns, 71, who was also pastor of Holy Cross Church, Morris, passed away Sunday, Dec. 26, 2010, at his home in Morris.
He was born in Albany in 1939, the son of Robert J. Burns Sr. and Anna (Wohlfahrt) Burns.
He was a graduate of St. Joseph’s Academy in Albany in 1957. He attended Mater Christi in Albany and St. Paul’s University in Ottawa, Canada, then was ordained at the Cathedral in Albany by Father William A. Scully.
While assistant pastor at St. Ambrose Church in Latham, he was an instructor at Mercy High School in Albany. He was assistant pastor at St. Joseph’s Church in Rensselaer and St. Agnes Church in Cohoes, then chaplain at Memorial Hospital and School of Nursing, then assistant pastor at St. Mary’s Church in Ballston Spa.
In 1981, he became pastor of Precious Blood of Jesus Church in South Kortright, and in 1999 became pastor of his current church Holy Cross Church of Morris.  He was chaplain of the Joseph P. Molinari Council 4989 Knights of Columbus.
Survivors include his brother, Robert J. Burns Jr. and his wife, Agatha, of Canada Lake; a nephew, Robert A. Burns and his wife, Kristen, of East Greenbush, and his three great-nieces, Madison, McCayla and Macey Burns.
Burial was Monday, Jan. 3, at Holy Redeemer Cemetery in Niskayuna.
Memorial donations may be made to Holy Cross Roman Catholic Church, P.O. Box 118, Morris, NY 13808.
Arrangements were with the Johnston Funeral Home of Morris.

Father Burns Was About People
Just after the wonderful Christmas celebrations, we learned on the Feast of St. Stephen, the first martyr, that Father John Burns, pastor of Holy Cross Church, Morris, had passed away.
Father Burns was dean of Otsego County, appointed to that post by Bishop Hubbard to represent the diocese in the western area of the Diocese of Albany.
Father Burns was a friend of ours here at St. Mary’s, Cooperstown.  Any time he was invited, he joyfully came to parties, social events, business meetings and liturgies.  Recently, he was here for the funeral of Dennis Murray.  He came through our Open House on Dec. 19.
He heard confessions here on Dec. 22. Father John often came to assist with our confirmation students, to hear confessions or to lead the once-a-month special mass for our confirmation students.
Many have shared their feelings about this quiet man.  Some commented how his faith came out when singing, full voiced and unsparingly.
“He was gentle and kind in confession.” “He loved his vocation and the people he served.”
My own thoughts are:  John listened.  He was quiet. When he spoke, one should listen.
The week he died, John would have traveled to be with the bishop, priests and seminarians for the annual Christmas social.  I confess that I am too Christmas-exhausted to even think of the trip.
Not John. He was always there. And “there” was people.  John Burns ever sought to bring people together. 
One of the greatest comments I heard about his passing comes from the wonderful person who maintains the rectory and watched John convalesce here after this heart surgery.  She observed: “Father Burns was always busy doing the Church’s work very quietly and diligently.”
My fondest thought is how he traveled to be with us on Sunday morning, June 6, at 11 a.m., for the celebration of the Year of Priests.   Father Andrew W. Cryans of Durham, N.H., said:  “ You  can always  count on John Burns to be there when it is priesthood.” 
May the Eternal Priest embrace Him.  “You are a priest forever, according to the order of Melchisdeck.”

Father Rosson is pastor of St. Mary’s “Our Lady of the Lake” Church,

Robert E. Mansbach, Jr., 53; OHS Graduate Pursued Legal Career
ONEONTA – Robert E. Mansbach, Jr., 53, a graduate of Oneonta High School, Class of 1975, who went on to an eminent career in law in Florida, died on Christmas Day, 2010, in Winter Park, where he  lived.
Survivors include his parents, Dr. Robert E. and Maryalice Mansbach of Oneonta.
Bob was born Cheverly, Md., on July 27, 1957.  His family moved a number of times during his early years – to Tonawanda, New Haven, Conn., and Iowa City, Iowa – before settling in Oneonta.
After graduating from Bugbee School and OHS, he earned his B.A. from Trinity College in Hartford, 1979, and a J.D. from Vanderbilt University Law School, 1982.
He practiced law in Orlando, Fla., and was a partner at the firm of Zimmerman, Kiser & Sutcliffe, P.A.  He became a Florida Bar Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer in 1992, and held the highest rating of AV by Martindale-Hubbell.
Bob was a past president of the Central Florida Medical Malpractice Claims Council and chair of the Executive Council of The Florida Bar’s Trial Lawyers Section.
He authored and updated the 2005 chapter titled “Summation” in The Florida Bar’s 7th edition of Florida Civil Trial Practice, and in 2009 he updated his chapter titled “Ethics” in the 2nd edition of The Florida Bar’s Florida Medical Malpractice Handbook.
“Bob will be remembered for his trademark tenacity, attention to detail and sharply focused trial skills. His quiet, calm demeanor always reflected his total preparation, which resonated with judges and jurors alike. Those who were close to Bob will also remember his warm heart, strong faith and exceptional depth of caring for those he knew were struggling through challenges in life,” his law firm said in a statement.
Bob was active in St. John’s Lutheran Church in Winter Park and Summit Church of Orlando. He also was a board member of the Lutheran Counseling Center in Winter Park.
His zest for life was expressed as husband and father, and in his hobbies: books, music, fine wine, fine dining, photography, golf and travel.
He is also survived by his wife of 28 years, Daisy; a daughter, Alexandra; a son, Christopher; a sister, Deborah Mansbach Lawrence and spouse Clifford Lawrence; mother-in-law Maria Nieves, brothers- and sisters-in-law, and nieces and nephews.
The memorial service was Thursday, Dec. 30, in Winter Park.
Memorial donations may be made to St.  John’s Lutheran Church, 1600 South Orlando Ave., Winter Park, FL  32789, Summit Church, 735 Herndon Ave., Orlando, FL 32803, or a charity of one’s choice.

Metta (Mitchell) Bagg, 86; Co-Owned Furniture Store

ONEONTA – Metta (Mitchell) Bagg, 86, of Punta Gorda, Fla., who with her husband owned and operated Bagg’s Wayside Furniture until 1989, passed away on Wednesday, Dec. 22, 2010, at the Port Charlotte Rehabilitation Center in Florida, where she had been living since she became ill in November 2009.
Born July 26, 1924, in Oneonta, she was the daughter of the late Claude and Edith (Stratton) Mitchell.
Her husband, Robert D. Bagg Sr., passed away 10 years ago. They owned and operated Bagg’s Wayside Furniture.
She had a love of gardening, and was a past president of the Oneonta Gardening Club.
She is survived by her three children, Emilie Jean Williams (Christman), Robert D. Bagg Jr. and Halsey M. Bagg; her sister, Emily DePalma; her brother, Charles Mitchell, 11 grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.
A memorial service is being planned in May at the Presbyterian Church, Oneonta.  All who would like to attend are welcome.
Arrangements are being handled by Bookhout Funeral Home, Oneonta.  

‘Teenie’ Scorzafava, 91; Honored WWII Veteran, Alderman, Civic Leader
ONEONTA – Marino Joseph “Teenie” Scorzafava, 91, a decorated World War II veteran and former alderman, passed away on Thursday, Dec. 23, 2010, at Bassett Hospital. He was one of 11 children.
As a Navy Seal, Marino served during World War II on an underwater demolition team.
As the initial assault team at Omaha Beach on D-Day, he and his unit were responsible for clearing the enemy barricades so the troops could land. He received a Presidential Citation, a Victory Medal as well as other medals.
Teenie married Jean M. Nepa of Carbondale, Pa., in January 1949, and they moved to Oneonta,  where he was a self-employed barber for many years. He also worked as a trackman for the D&H Railroad.
Teenie was active in local politics, serving as alderman and on many civic boards. He loved his community and was known for his gardening, pool shooting and as a marble champion.
He was a loving husband, father, and grandfather.
Teenie is survived by his wife of 61 years, Jean Scorzafava; his son, Charles Scorzafava and his wife, Nancy of Oneonta.
Also, grandchildren Alex, Catherine and Eric; his sisters, Lilian Fetcho and Eleanor VanCuren, and many nieces and nephews.
Teenie was predeceased by parents, Santo and Elizabeth Scorzafava; his brothers, Frank, Sam, Tony, Philip, Flori and Alfred; his sisters, Faustina Russo and Violet Burnis
There will be no public calling hours.
A Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated Wednesday, Dec. 29, at St. Mary’s Church, with the Rev. Joseph Benintende, pastor, officiating. Graveside committal services with military honors will be held in the spring in the Oneonta Plains Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the American Legion Post 259, 279 Chestnut Street, Oneonta, NY 13820.
Arrangements are by the Lester R. Grummons Funeral Home, Oneonta.